Sony has discovered that some DSC-T20 Cyber-shot cameras sold in the United States may experience an issue with abnormal internal vibration and an inability to properly focus and take pictures. For cameras affected by this issue, Sony will provide free repair until July 17, 2011. In certain units, the lens cannot adjust properly due to a mechanical failure in the lens mechanism. When the automatic features of the camera attempt to adjust the lens, the camera body vibrates, preventing it from properly focusing or taking pictures.
- The symptom only occurs while the camera is powered on.
- The vibration is similar to that of a mobile phone set to silent mode.
This issue affects some of the following DSC-T20 cameras sold in the United States:
- Pink or Silver cameras with serial numbers between 500001 and 525350.
Note: Not all cameras within the serial number range are affected.
The model name and serial number are located on the label on the bottom of the camera.
How to Resolve the Issue
IMPORTANT: The camera mode settings may be initialized during the service process and all recorded data erased. Please make a backup of your camera’s internal memory data before sending it to the Sony Service Center.
During the free repair period, Sony will provide customers in the United States a prepaid shipping label so that you may send your affected DSC-T20 camera to the Sony Service Center for free repair.
- Please verify that your camera is a DSC-T20 with serial number between 500001 and 525350. The model name and serial number are located on the label on the bottom of the camera.
- Verify that your DSC-T20 camera is experiencing the vibration issue and an inability to focus and/or take pictures.
- Sony will provide free repair only for DSC-T20 cameras within the affected serial number range that are experiencing the issues described above. All other cameras are subject to normal limited warranty terms.
If your DSC-T20 camera is in the affected serial number range, and is experiencing the issues described above, please click here to order a prepaid shipping label.
If you have questions or require assistance, please call Sony customer support center at 800-784-6726.