Remote Play (download) for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) enables you to display the system screen on your computer and remotely operate the PS3 system via a network connection. With remote play, you can access your content and control your PS3 playback from your computer from virtually anywhere in the world. Other cool aspects include the ability to view photos, play music or watch videos stored on your PS3 system with content streamed in real-time to the screen of your computer. Content requiring output protection (Blu-ray Disc media, DVD movie, PlayStation games) is not supported by Remote Play. Image quality may vary.
Check out the applicable models and operating systems, and don’t be afraid to try it anyways if your Sony VAIO model isn’t listed as compatible. Don’t have a VAIO? Try using this patch that enables PS3 Remote Play to work with any Windows PC.
1. Verify you are able to connect the PlayStation3 system to your network.
- To test your network connection, try to connect to the PlayStation Network.
- If you are not able to connect the PlayStation3 system to your network, contact PlayStation support for assistance.
2.On the computer, click the Start button and then click All Programs.
3. In the All Programs menu, click PlayStation Tools and then click Remote Play with PlayStation3.
4. In the What is Remote Play with PlayStation3? window, click the Next button.
5. In the Set Nickname window, next to Nickname: , type a name for this computer.
- The name is used by the PlayStation3 system to identify the computer.
6. A Register this computer to the PlayStation3 system window is displayed. Leave this window open and go to the PlayStation3 system.
7. On the PlayStation3 system, navigate to the Settings menu.
8. In the Settings menu, navigate to Remote Play Settings and press the X button.
9. Verify Register Device is selected and press the X button.
10. In the Register Device screen, select PC and press the X button.
11. An 8-digit registration number is displayed.
- You will have 5 minutes to enter this number in the Remote Play with PlayStation3 software.
12. On the computer, in the Register this computer to the PlayStation3 system window, next to Number:, type the 8-digit number displayed in the previous step and then click the Next button.
- Your registration number will differ from the one displayed in the images.
13. The computer and the PlayStation3 system will connect via a wireless connection and complete the registration process.
- If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, or click Yes .
- During the registration process, the computer will disconnect from your wireless network so it can connect directly to the PlayStation3 system.
14. When the registration is complete, on the PlayStation3 system, on the Register completed screen, press the X button.
- On the computer, a Register Device process is complete window is displayed. Leave this window open.
15. On the PlayStation3 system, navigate to the Network menu.
16. On the Network menu, select Remote Play and then press the X button.
17. A Remote Play screen is displayed indicating the PlayStation3 system is ready for a remote connection
18. On the computer, in the Register Device process is complete window, click the Connect button.
19. When the connection process is complete, on the PlayStation3 system, a Remote Play in Progress screen is displayed.
20. On the computer in the Remote Play with PlayStation 3 window, the PlayStation3 menu is displayed and ready for your control.
- A Key assignment window is displayed showing how to use the keyboard to control the PlayStation3 system.
The software is preinstalled on Fall 2010 VAIO computer models and available for download on most VAIO computers that have the Windows 7 operating system preinstalled. This article, “How to set up the Remote Play with PlayStation 3 software,” originally appeared on Sony’s eSupport website.