I purchased Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on launch day because I the hype behind this game was simply outstanding. The hype was well deserved because its the most phoenominal multiplayer fps experience I’ve encountered. The level of customization (different custom setups, killstreak unlocks, etc) and awesome little rewards like titles and callsigns have you constantly evolving your character. The game looks great on the PS3, although I wish the textures were a little more defined. Nonetheless, a strange issue started happening to me recently where the game would freeze or start freezing up during multiplayer gameplay. This would usually happen at the beginning, or even a few moments into a match. It was occuring over and over and I was getting quite concerned.
UPDATE: As of today, Activision released a 1.04 update to Modern Warfare 2 for the PS3 that fixed this issue for me. Up to this point, I had to delete my game utility data every time before I played to ensure a crash-free experience. This seems to be resolved now. If downloading 1.04 doesn’t help you, try these steps:
After Googling around, I didn’t find much until I actually went to Activision’s support site. I highlighted below in bold what fixed the issue for me.
Here is the fix they list for this issue:
This may be caused by a faulty game disc, or problems with the PlayStation 3. Check the disc for abrasions, scratches, and dust.
- Ensure the PlayStation 3 is in a cool, well ventilated place.
- Try deleting the game data. Go into the XMB menu. This is the menu that you see when you turn on your PS3. Select Game / Game Data Utility. Select the game and press the triangle button. Select Delete and then press the X button to confirm. Once this is done, reinsert the game disc in the drive. You will need to install the game data to the PS3 again. This should not affect your saved game as it is stored in a different folder.
- Try the game on another PlayStation 3.
- If none of the above resolves the issue then this may indicate a problem with your Playstation 3 and you will need to contact Playstation Consumer/Technical support at (1-800-345-SONY).
- Additional PS3 troubleshooting suggestions can be found at Sony’s support site.
I hope this helps!